In my role as a Technical Support Engineer, I have recognized and fostered a passion for software development. Particularly, this has meant creation of command-line based tools, web applications and RESTful APIs. I hope to orient my career in this way; bringing my ability to recognize, think through, and improve product and process to software development.
Software Development Skills
Skills in Python:
- Use of Python 2.7 and 3.4.
- Experience with Flask and Django frameworks and extensions for web apps and APIs.
- Requests, bpython.
Beginner level knowledge of native mobile development for iOS and Android.
Knowledge of version control best practices and collaboration using Git and GitHub.
Set up of home-based Linux web server for project testing and remote SSH.
Work tracking, collaboration, and organization using JIRA and Confluence.
Deploying Flask-based web applications to AWS.
Technical documentation writing for User-facing Knowledge Base.
Currently learning node.js and iOS development in Swift.
Bleary - API Testing Apps
A CLI-based script wrapping the Urban Airship python library to provide rapid-fire testing of API endpoints for support use during Production Incidents and for endpoint monitoring.
Has been extended to:
- Bleary-web: a friendly web-based front end for Bleary for support agents not comfortable on the command line. Used: flask, bootstrap, wtf-forms, and flask-script.
- Bleary-slack: a single-endpoint flask-based API which is triggered by a Slack slash command. This provides all support and non-technical staff with access to API testing. Deployed to AWS.
Used the tweepy library to create twitter bots:
- @auto_poet: produces short poems based on a nltk corpus of favorite novels and poems.
- @auto_fortune: produces fortunes based on random word choice in defined templates.
- @space_is_bot: produces small text & emoji space scenes, similar to @tiny_star_field.
Recipe API — In Progress
Flask-based API allowing basic CRUD operations on a database of personal and saved recipes. Will serve as backend for eventual web front end and mobile app.
Lead Technical Support Engineer — Urban Airship — 2014 to Present
Led Technical Support team for industry-leading SaaS platform.
- Created and executed on-boarding and technical training program for new TSEs and other technical and non-technical roles including Account Management, Product Management and Sales.
- Fostered environment of open work and high collaboration within support and related teams.
- Defined career roles in Technical Support, becoming company’s first Senior then Lead Technical Support Engineer within 14 months.
- Assisted in effort to overhaul existing public Knowledge Base: helping define standard practices, written style, and visual and content design in conjunction with Support Content Manager, Documentation Team, and Marketing/Design.
- Led Customer Success effort to define new Enhancement Request process, giving our customers’ voice visibility to Engineering and putting improvements on Product Road Maps.
- Improved and defined Support process for Production Incidents including how we communicate with customers through in-product notifications and public status page.
- Consistently lead in Support tickets completed and satisfaction metrics with over 12 months of 97+% satisfaction.
Technician/Trainer — Apple Retail — 2008 to 2014
Customer Service polymath. Days were spent training customers on the entire range of Apple hardware and software. Also provided hardware and software support for iOS devices and Macs at the Genius Bar.
Portland Community College — AAS Computer Information Systems — 2013
Concentrated on courses in Software Development, Networking, and Unix.
California State University, Monterey Bay — BA Music Technology — 2008
Concentrated on creative use and creation of software for sound synthesis and audio manipulation. Contemporary music theory, composition and application. Sound and music nerd. Instruments: Viola and Laptop.